How Common is Iliac Artery Compression in Cyclists?
- Moen E.
What Are the Mechanisms Contributing to Iliac Artery Compression in Cyclists?
Anatomical predisposition and kinking of artery
How Does Iliac Artery Compression in Cyclists Present Clinically?
What Investigations May Help in the Diagnosis of Iliac Artery Compression in Cyclists?
Provocative exercise test and ankle brachial pressure index (ABPI)
Digital subtraction angiography (DSA)
Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)
Ultrasonography and colour Doppler
- Moen E.
|Operation||Arterial release||Shortening of the artery||Resection of fibrotic section||Endarterectomy with vein patch angioplasty|
|Description||Freeing the iliac artery from a fixed point such as psoas artery branch and adhesions||Resection of the redundant length of the iliac artery. The length and segment to be resected should be based on the surgeon's clinical judgement||Resection of the fibrotic segment in the iliac artery that is causing flow limitations. Interpositional vein graft is placed if no excess artery is available for anastomosis||Arteriotomy and excision of the intraluminal stenotic lesion (endofibrosis). Arteriotomy is closed with vein patch angioplasty|
|Indication||Kinking of iliac artery secondary to anatomical tethering||Long iliac artery causing kinking or compression||Presence of fibrotic segment in the iliac artery causing flow limitations||Intraluminal stenotic lesion (endofibrosis)|
|Precautions||Presence of intravascular stenotic lesion needs to be excluded first||Presence of intravascular stenotic lesion needs to be excluded first||Avoid the use of prosthetic graft||Just as in endarterectomy for atherosclerosis|
|Breaching of arterial wall integrity||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Involvement of graft||No||No||Usually yes||Vein patch|
Conflict of Interest/Funding
- A propos de l'endofibrose iliaque chez deux coureurs cyclistes.Helv Chir Acta. 1985; 51: 793-795
- Pathologie vasculaire du cyclistes.Encyclopedie Medico Chirurgicale. 1997; A10–A11: 675
- External iliac artery occlusion – another complication of long distance running?.Eur J Vasc Surg. 1990; 4: 195-196
- Rev Med Suisse Romande. 1984; 104: 823-830
- Intermittent claudication in a professional rugby player.J Vasc Surg. 1992; 15: 664-668
- Rev Med Liege. 2002; 57: 135-137
- External iliac artery stenosis in a young body builder.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1996; 11: 499-501
- Non-traumatic lower limb vascular complications in endurance athletes. Review of literature.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2004; 28: 1-8
- Detection and treatment of claudication due to functional iliac obstruction in top endurance athletes: a prospective study.Lancet. 2002; 359: 466-473
- External iliac endofibrosis in endurance athletes: a novel case in an endurance runner and a review of the literature.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2003; 26: 629-634
- Obstructive external iliac arteriopathy in avid bicyclists: new and variable histopathologic features in four women.J Vasc Surg. 2002; 36: 565-570
- Comparison between duplex scanning and angiographic findings in the evaluation of functional iliac obstruction in top endurance athletes.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2004; 28: 513-519
- Ankle to brachial pressure index in normal subjects and trained cyclists with exercise-induced leg pain.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33: 1862-1867
- Flow limitations in the iliac arteries in endurance athletes. Current knowledge and directions for the future.Int J Sports Med. 1999; 20: 421-428
- Claudication in young adults: a frequently delayed diagnosis.J Vasc Surg. 1989; 10: 68-74
- Traumatic occlusion of the external iliac artery in a racing cyclist: a cause of ill defined leg pain.Br J Sports Med. 1997; 31: 155-156
- External iliac artery endofibrosis: a 40-year course.J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1997; 37: 297-300
- External iliac artery endofibrosis in athletes.Sports Med. 1997; 24: 221-226
- L'endofibrose iliaque externe du cycliste de competition: une pathologie arterielle meconnue.Ann Chir Vasc. 1986; 1: 297-303
- Copore sano. An emerging occupational hazard.
- Excessive length of iliac arteries in athletes with flow limitations measured by magnetic resonance angiography.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002; 34: 385-393
- Magnetic resonance angiography used to detect kinking in the iliac arteries in endurance athletes with claudication.Physiol Meas. 2001; 22: 475-487
- Complete external iliac artery occlusion in a 34-year-old cyclist.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2002; 23: 376-377
- Claudicación intermitente en el adulto joven: arteriopatía no arteriosclerótica.Angiologia. 2002; 54: 182-196
- Pressure measurements at rest and after heavy exercise to detect moderate arterial lesions in athletes.J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33: 721-727
- Spontaneous common iliac artery dissection after exercise.J Endovasc Ther. 2003; 10: 163-166
- Stenotic intimal thickening of the external iliac artery in competition cyclists.Hum Pathol. 1990; 21: 524-529
- The femoral artery and flexion of the hip joint.Surg Radiol Anat. 1989; 11: 275-281
- Color Doppler used to detect kinking and intravascular lesions in the iliac arteries in endurance athletes with claudication.Eur J Ultrasound. 2001; 14: 129-140
- Iliac artery syndrome: successful outcome after endarterectomy and vein patch angioplasty.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2006; 32: 342
- Rev Port Cir Cardiothorac Vasc. 2008; 15: 157-163
- Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2006; 150: 1518-1522
- External iliac artery endofibrosis: a new possible predisposing factor.J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38: 180-182
- Simultaneous arterial pressure recordings improve the detection of endofibrosis.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006; 38: 1889-1894
- Endofibrosis of iliac arteries in high-performance athletes: diagnostic approach and minimally invasive endovascular treatment.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2006; 29: 866-869
- Histopathological comparison between endofibrosis of the high-performance cyclist and atherosclerosis in the external iliac artery.J Vasc Surg. 2008; 48: 1458-1463
- Dynamic obstruction of the external iliac artery in endurance athletes and its relationship to endothelial function: the case of a long distance runner.Br J Sports Med. 1997; 31: 156-158
- Ann Pathol. 2000; 20: 232-234
- J Mal Vasc. 1996; 21: 95-97
- Endofibrose arterielle du sportif.in: Kieffer E. Godeau P. Actualities de chirurgie vasculaire. Maladies arterielles non athersclereuses de l'adulte. AERCV, Paris1994: 455-466
- Endofibrosis of the iliac arteries: an underestimated problem.Acta Chir Belg. 2004; 104: 635-640
- Vascular complications in high-performance athletes.J Vasc Surg. 2001; 33: 935-942
- Lower extremity arterial disease in sports.Am J Sports Med. 1997; 25: 581-584
- Echography of external iliac artery endofibrosis in cyclists.Am J Sports Med. 1993; 21: 861-863
- Cyclist's iliac syndrome: temporary relief by balloon angioplasty.Br J Sports Med. 2001; 35: 70-71
- Black blood magnetic resonance angiography with Dy-DTPA polymer: effect on arterial intraluminal signal intensity, lumen diameter, and wall thickness.J Magn Reson Imaging. 1998; 8: 1051-1059
- Current practice and future promise for clinical noninvasive measurements of subclinical atherosclerotic disease in the elderly.Am J Geriatr Cardiol. 2002; 11 ([quiz 116–8]): 108-116
- MR imaging of atherosclerotic plaque.Radiol Clin North Am. 2002; 40: 887-898
- External iliac artery endofibrosis in a young cyclist.Circulation. 1999; 100: e38
- Exercise-induced external iliac artery intimal fibrosis: confirmation with intravascular ultrasound.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2000; 11: 51-53
- Ask the Doctor: Ryan Cox and iliac artery endofibrosis.VeloNews. 2007;
- Vascular disease.Cycling Weekly. 13 September 2007; : 25-29
- Arteriopathy in the high-performance athlete.Tex Heart Inst J. 2006; 33: 482-486
- Past, present and future of arterial endofibrosis in athletes: a point of view.Sports Med. 2004; 34: 419-425
- Endofibrosis of the external iliac artery in sportsmen clinical review and four new cases.Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1998; 32: 323-328
- Dissection of the external iliac artery in highly trained athletes.J Vasc Surg. 1995; 22: 173-177
- Aneurism dissecant de l'arterie iliaque externe, une evolution inhabituelle de l'endofibrosie du sportif.J Mal Vasc. 1996; 21: 95-97
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
To submit a comment for a journal article, please use the space above and note the following:
- We will review submitted comments as soon as possible, striving for within two business days.
- This forum is intended for constructive dialogue. Comments that are commercial or promotional in nature, pertain to specific medical cases, are not relevant to the article for which they have been submitted, or are otherwise inappropriate will not be posted.
- We require that commenters identify themselves with names and affiliations.
- Comments must be in compliance with our Terms & Conditions.
- Comments are not peer-reviewed.