- Brott T.G.
- Halperin J.L.
- Abbara S.
- Bacharach J.M.
- Barr J.D.
- Bush R.L.
- et al.
Material and Methods
Time from index event to surgery
Outcome and use of platelet inhibitors
|New event (n = 12/368)|
|At time of index event||At time of surgery|
|ASA only||9 (75.0)||8 (66.7)|
|Other platelet inhibitor only||1 (8.3)||1 (8.3)|
|ASA + another platelet inhibitor||0 (0)||3 (25.0)a|
|No platelet inhibitor||2 (16.7)||0 (0)|
|Warfarin||0 (0)||0 (0)|
|NOAK||1 (8.3)||1 (8.3)|
|LMWH||1 (8.3)||2 (16.7)|
|No new event (n = 356/368)|
|ASA only||155 (43.5)||78 (21.9)|
|Other platelet inhibitor only||26 (7.3)||41 (11.5)|
|ASA + another platelet inhibitor||28 (7.9)||223 (62.6)a|
|No platelet inhibitor||147 (41.3)||14 (3.9)|
|Warfarin||15 (4.2)||17 (5.0)|
|NOAK||9 (2.5)||13 (3.8)|
|Operated||10 (2.7)||88 (23.9)||129 (35.1)||141 (38.3)||368 (100)|
|Minor stroke||0 (0)||1 (1.1)||3 (2.3)||3 (2.1)||7 (1.9)|
|Major stroke||0 (0)||2 (2.3)||4 (3.1)||0 (0)||6 (1.6)|
|Mortality||0 (0)||0 (0)||1 (0.8)||1 (0.7)||2 (0.5)|
|Mortality and any stroke||0 (0)||3. (3.4)||7 (5.4)||4 (2.8)||14 (3.8)|
Delays from index event to surgery
Effect of platelet inhibitors
Utilising carotid surgery
Conflict of Interest
- Population-based study of delays in carotid imaging and surgery and the risk of recurrent stroke.Neurology. 2005; 65: 371-375
- Population based study of early risk of stroke after transient ischaemic attack or minor stroke: implications for public education and organisation of services.BMJ. 2004; 328: 326-328
- Early risk of recurrence by subtype of ischemic stroke in population-based incidence studies.Neurology. 2004; 62: 569-573
- Carotid stenosis as predictor of stroke after transient ischemic attacks.J Neurol Sci. 2011; 303: 85-89
- Risk of recurrent stroke before carotid endarterectomy: the ANSYSCAP study.Int J Stroke. 2013; 8: 220-227
- Carotid endarterectomy within seven days after the neurological index event is safe and effective in stroke prevention.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011; 42: 732-739
- Carotid endarterectomy after ischemic stroke–is there a justification for delayed surgery?.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2005; 30: 36-40
- Prediction and prevention of stroke in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis: the high-risk period and the high-risk patient.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2008; 35: 255-263
- Carotid endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 13CD001081
- ESVS guidelines. Invasive treatment for carotid stenosis: indications, techniques.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009; 37: 1-19
- 2011 ASA/ACCF/AHA/AANN/AANS/ACR/ASNR/CNS/SAIP/SCAI/SIR/SNIS/SVM/SVS guideline on the management of patients with extracranial carotid and vertebral artery disease: executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, and the American Stroke Association, American Association of Neuroscience Nurses, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American College of Radiology, American Society of Neuroradiology, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Interventional Radiology, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, Society for Vascular Medicine, and Society for Vascular Surgery.Circulation. 2011; 124: 489-532
- Very urgent carotid endarterectomy confers increased procedural risk.Stroke. 2012; 43: 1331-1335
- National clinical guideline for stroke.2012
- Variation in clinical practice in carotid surgery in nine countries 2005–2010. Lessons from VASCUNET and recommendations for the future of national clinical audit.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012; 44: 11-17
- Decreasing the delay to carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with carotid stenosis—outcome of an intervention.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012; 44: 261-266
- Dual antiplatelet therapy prior to expedited carotid surgery reduces recurrent events prior to surgery without significantly increasing peri-operative bleeding complications.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015; 50: 412-419
- Clopidogrel with aspirin in acute minor stroke or transient ischemic attack.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 11-19
- Risk of early recurrent stroke in symptomatic carotid stenosis after best medical therapy and before endarterectomy.Int J Stroke. 2016; 11: 41-51
- Patient behavior immediately after transient ischemic attack according to clinical characteristics, perception of the event, and predicted risk of stroke.Stroke. 2006; 37: 1254-1260
- Delay prior to expedited carotid endarterectomy: a prospective audit of practice.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2013; 46: 404-410
- Delays to surgery and procedural risks following carotid endarterectomy in the UK national vascular registry.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2016; 52: 438-443
- Waiting times for carotid endarterectomy in UK: observational study.BMJ. 2009; 338b1847
- Urgency of carotid endarterectomy for secondary stroke prevention: results from the Registry of the Canadian Stroke Network.Stroke. 2009; 40: 2776-2782
- Reducing delay of carotid endarterectomy in acute ischemic stroke patients: a nationwide initiative.Stroke. 2013; 44: 686-690
- Structure of delay in carotid surgery—an observational study.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2011; 42: 273-279
- Carotid endarterectomy: are we meeting the two week target?.Scott Med J. 2009; 54: 27-29
- Delayed carotid surgery: what are the causes in the north west of England?.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2012; 43: 637-641
- Wait times for carotid endarterectomy, London Ontario 2006-2007.Can J Neurol Sci. 2013; 40: 330-333
- Safety of carotid endarterectomy while on clopidogrel (Plavix). Clinical article.J Neurosurg. 2010; 113: 908-912
- Incidence, impact, and predictors of cranial nerve palsy and haematoma following carotid endarterectomy in the international carotid stenting study.Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2014; 48: 498-504
☆This study was presented at the oral abstract sessions at the 30th ESVS Annual Meeting in Copenhagen, 29 September 2016.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
To submit a comment for a journal article, please use the space above and note the following:
- We will review submitted comments as soon as possible, striving for within two business days.
- This forum is intended for constructive dialogue. Comments that are commercial or promotional in nature, pertain to specific medical cases, are not relevant to the article for which they have been submitted, or are otherwise inappropriate will not be posted.
- We require that commenters identify themselves with names and affiliations.
- Comments must be in compliance with our Terms & Conditions.
- Comments are not peer-reviewed.